Supporting the Unsung Hero, the free business start-up programme from the University of Wolverhampton and Black Country Chamber of Commerce, is helping people like you to turn bright ideas into successful businesses.
COVID-19 meant all face-to-face and on-base training was paused, but its team of expert instructors made it their mission to provide the military community with up-to-date business advice.
“It has been an incredibly difficult time for the self-employed and an even greater challenge for so many of our delegates juggling service family demands with home schooling, deployments and postings, however, the resilient nature of the armed forces community never ceases to amaze us,” says SUH programme manager Sarah Walker (left in photo). “We’ve seen an increase in demand for our future courses from aspiring business owners, and many of our current delegates have taken the opportunity to refocus their business goals or introduce new products and services. The positive, hardworking approach from our delegates continues to inspire us and we look forward to welcoming new members as we start delivering physical cohorts again.”
“We’ve seen an increase in demand for our future courses from aspiring business owners.”
Army reservist Hannah Illingworth (right in photo), owner of HI Virtual, explains how doing the SUH course gave her the confidence to change direction: “HI Virtual is now going from strength to strength. I’ve established a great set of clients that I really enjoy working with and I’m able to work around the needs of my service family life.
“It has been reassuring to know that the SUH team are there to answer questions and offer support – the peer network is great for boosting morale.”
Want to join?
SUH is a four-day training course followed by a ten-month mentoring programme and it’s free to service families. Head to wlv.ac.uk/supportingtheunsunghero for more details.
For existing members:
- Weekly cuppa and chat – informal networking group
- Fortnightly group mentoring – strategic business networking
- Extra mentoring available to help through this difficult time
- Sharing news and business updates
- Supportive and informative posts in closed Facebook group.
For new members:
- New online ‘introduction to starting your own business’ events
- Individual business advice available on request
- Advanced bookings now being taken for courses
- Venues available at MOD bases throughout the UK and overseas.