If you’re thinking of starting a college or university course, one of your main concerns is bound to be how you’re going to pay for it.

The government website is a good place to start. Search for student finance to find a step-by-step guide to the eligibility criteria, terms and conditions and how to apply. You can also follow links if you live in Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland, where there are different processes.

You should apply to the funding provider where your soldier lived before they enlisted – the Student Awards Agency Scotland, Student Finance Wales, the student Loans Company England or Student Finance Northern Ireland.

Unfortunately, the rules can sometimes make this quite complicated and the offers can vary between providers, so please do get in touch if you need some help.

Take a look at aff.org.uk to find information on the grants and bursaries available to service families. MoneySavingExpert also has a fantastic guide on its website.

What if I’m overseas?

After much campaigning, AFF was pleased to see changes to student funding rules that meant that service families overseas are not excluded from accessing a student loan if they are not resident in the UK on the first day of their chosen course. So, you should be able to apply without any issues.

If you have any questions or concerns, do contact AFF’s employment & training specialist, Jenna Richardson, at employmenttraining@aff.org.uk

Useful links

About The Author


Related Posts