Army&You has been exploring the ace amenities on offer at some of the UK’s top independent schools. Here, Headteacher Donald Shaw takes us on a tour of Dunblane’s Queen Victoria School (qvs.org)…
Tell us about your school’s current facilities.
QVS boasts many facilities to contribute to the pupils’ lives at the school. These include
- Sports Complex – brand new multi-gym, a swimming pool, an all-weather pitch and 3 rugby pitches
- Ceremonial Unit – a dedicated piping and drumming complex, as well as a Highland dance studio
- Pastoral Facilities – four fully furnished boarding houses with single/double bed spaces
- Academic Facilities – A number of classrooms supporting a wide range of curricular activities, including a language lab, photography studio, music complex, and science facilities which support up to Advanced Higher studies
Do you have any plans for future investment?
A proposed increase in boarding facilities to six or eight boarding houses, and a new teaching facility.
What’s the jewel in your crown?
Our unique Ceremonial Unit, which includes our pipe band. In the summer of 2016 the band was invited to play at the Basel Tattoo. Some pupils were also asked to take part in Remembrance commemorations, including at the Somme.
What does having access to top-notch facilities mean to a child’s education?
Facilities are the foundation for a child’s education. These facilities of course include school infrastructure, but QVS considers that other facilities are just as important, for example our high level of pastoral care for pupils. Pastoral care facilities at QVS include the allocation of tutors, experienced House Masters and Matrons, as well as the entire school staff putting the wellbeing and welfare of the pupils first.
Why should parents pick your school based on your facilities?
QVS is a unique school, specifically equipped to provide an education, as well as life experience, to the children of serving Service personnel. The lives of serving Service personnel by default involve particular challenges which can extend to their children. In this respect, QVS is privileged to exist to provide stability of education to those who live and study there. A mix of nationalities contribute to a diverse and active body of pupils, who add value and meaning to the ethos and spirit of the school.
What are your top three most used facilities?
- Sports facilities
- Social and recreational areas