PETS can be a welcome addition to your family, providing much-needed comfort when loved ones are away and a sense of continuity when moving frequently from one home to the next.

If you’re living in Service Families Accommodation (SFA) there are some simple steps you need to take to ensure you’re ready for an animal’s arrival.

Make it clear that you own a pet when you apply for your SFA using the application form e-1132.

If you’re already in SFA and decide to get a new pet, call CarillionAmey (CA) on 0800 707 6000.

If you’re thinking of keeping chickens, your property will need to be assessed by CA for suitability. Exotic or farm animals are not permitted.

When you move out, you must make sure your property meets the standard by cleaning all carpets and floors and removing all evidence of pets from the garden.

Animal advice

Once you have welcomed your new family member into your home, there are a number of things you need to consider.

Regularly check your animals for fleas and parasites and make sure any vaccinations are up-to-date.

If your pet makes a mess as you are walking around your housing estate, make sure that you clean it up. Failure to do so could see you landed with an on-the-spot fine – the amount varies from council to council, but it can be as much as £80.

Keep your pet out of the way of any maintenance work to ensure it is protected from injury.

Check your garden for broken fences or damaged gates – it only takes a few seconds for a pet to escape.

It’s now a legal requirement for all dogs to be microchipped and contact details to be kept up-to-date.

If you don’t get your dog microchipped, you may be liable for a £500 fine.

For more info, visit

About The Author


Related Posts