We know it’s only September but now’s the time to get ahead of the game and make sure your home is winter ready. Tick off the following checks to ensure you’re prepared for when the cold weather arrives.
- Turn your heating on
- Test radiators – bleed them
- Cover outside taps
- Check that gutters and downpipes aren’t blocked
- Check flowerbeds near the house – is the soil below the damp course?
- Report dripping taps to Amey
- Make sure you know where your stopcock is – ask your accommodation officer if you’re not sure
- Check your insurance – do you have licence to occupy cover in place?
- Don’t forget that a gas/electrical safety inspection is a legal requirement so allow operatives in to complete this when your appointment is made.
Remember, doing these simple maintenance steps in plenty of time means you can call in any necessary repairs before the cold weather arrives. Go to aff.org.uk for further info or contact me by email at email@example.com