As the days get shorter and you notice a chill in the morning air, it’s time to think about making your home fit for the months that lie ahead. Here are some top tips to get winter-ready:
- Turn the heating on and test the radiators – bleed them if necessary
- Cover outside taps
- Check gutters and downpipes aren’t blocked – report to Amey if they are
- Check your flowerbeds near your property – is the soil below the damp course?
- Report any dripping taps
- Make sure you know where your stopcock is – ask your accommodation officer – it’s normally under your kitchen sink
- Check your insurance – do you have licence to occupy insurance in place if you’re in a quarter?
- Don’t forget that a gas safety inspection is a legal requirement so make sure that you allow contractors in to complete this when an appointment is made with you.